Thursday, November 10, 2011

Street Food Smorgasbord!



I seldom pass by the University of St. La Salle because I have a different route to work and although I would often think of venturing on what's new in the area, I just didn't seem to have found the time. Yesterday was a chance of another Happy Tummy. After taking care of some stuff in La Salle, I decided to wander the sidewalk of the university. 

The scorching heat of 3pm became the spotlight to my new paradise. It was a one-stop gluttonous haven! The fruit stall greeted me with delight as I chose from its offerings; papaya, indian mangoes and singkamas. Who am I to resist the vibrant orange color of the papaya? So I grabbed P10 from my pocket and gave in to my craving.


The second stall offers hot sweet corn bathed in melted butter. Another innovation that I seldom see on the streets of Bacolod. It's a common sight at the mall but on the streets? I don't think so. Another thing I noticed, only in USLS that corn vendors exert extra effort in capitalizing for butter. When I pass by other schools, they just pick the maize, remove the covers and shoot them in the plastic. Talk about USLS taste! However, despite my love for sweet corn, I was somehow deprived  from having one solely because I only have two hands. 



The third stall offered Piaya, a Negrense pride and the fourth one would be the peanuts. I hardly notice them because the enticing sound of deep-frying just dominated my imagination. Alas! There it was! Fried vegetable lumpia. For only P5 each, the hot lumpia warmed my heart (and tummy). I ordered 4 newly cooked ones and for my convenience, the kind-hearted "manong" placed it in a cup plastic cup with lots of sinamak, a local dip that consists of vinegar and bird's eye chilli (katumbal). Manong also offers chicken innards and the likes. Before I forget, there is also a stall that sells everything that is related to frying and eggs! From kwek kwek, tokneneng, and get this...Cheezlog! I have yet to try them because unfortunately, I was not that prepared to gorge on them.




Last but not the least, Matt's Burrito. Everything on the menu is P30 only, from Tacos and Quesadillas to Beef or Chicken Burrito. It's certainly a new view for me considering the bold attempt of the proprietor to venture into a business that requires quality ingredients in order to be fully appreciated. I have tried the street burrito in Mexico that would probably cost P50 that time and unfortunately this one didn't come close. Although it offered variety from the common menu of Bacolod's street food there is definitely more room for improvement in order to capture an eater's delight. Thicker and softer bread perhaps and more meat, tomatoes and onions would do the trick. I know for a fact that my fellow Bacolodnons would not mind paying P50 for a "sulit" burrito. 


One more thing, this strip is best for takeouts since there are no tables nor chairs for one to comfortably gobble these treats. But if you want to enjoy the hot food, then be ready for the dust, heat and prepare your dependable legs to stand up. And please don't forget to bring your own liquids. There may be a store where you can buy softdrinks or water but it's no guarantee that they are always cold. 

Happy Eating Everyone! :)

2 comments:

  1. How marvelous this is to see the luxurious street of USLS Rem. I used to stroll on those area when we do our jogging and walking. I miss Bacolod so much. Seeing the street itself made me more anxious to go home. The photos are incredibly fascinates me to be home. My tummy is screaming, "FEED ME!" despite of me being fully loaded from my brunch. I can't wait for our date when I get home. Thanks a lot Rem. You made my day!!! xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for you to come home and join me in my food hunt. I promise to bring you to all the spots I know. :)

    ReplyDelete