Monday, November 07, 2011

You Can't Always Get What You Want...Now What To Do About It



My 8 year old kid is so good at getting what she wants, always on a "win-win" situation. At a young age, she knows how to play her cards well at haggling, not really common with children her age. I have always taught her that rewards come when she is good and disaster if otherwise. But I also raise her to be contented, letting her understand why she only gets mediocre glory if she only does just as much. She knows that she can only dream so much but without doing the right thing, she will only harvest what she deserves.

I grew up with a "yes or no" policy but thankfully, my dad gave me the leeway to reason and be heard. I know that I have made millions of mistakes in the past but it's not how I was brought up but it's because of lack of sensibility in taking the right path in life. However, in the end, it taught me to face my consequences and make the most of them because it is a fact that whatever I do, comes it's rightful repercussion.

I am a witness to a lot of people trying to ask the question: Why can't I get what I want? I would end up asking myself, "Are they even in the position to demand for what they want?" How hard could it be to understand the most common cliche back in my elementary days, "Kung ano gintanum mo, amo man na ang anihun mo? (What you sow is what you will reap.)" What's not conceivable about it? It's as simple as not looking for coconut on a mango tree.

You want people around you to help you in you're times of great need? Then don't abuse others' generosity and better yet, make sure you have done your part of the bargain before screaming SOS. And please don't forget that those that you cried for help also have their own challenges to deal with. Give them the break they deserve by not being bitter because they are not extending a helping hand.They may have more serious problems than yours.

You demand utmost respect from your peers? You certainly may... that is if you give the respect they deserve too. But most importantly, make sure you have secured self-respect first. As I would always remind myself, "Don't do unto others, what you don't want others to do unto you." I think that's about right.

You desire attention and command? Make sure that what ever you preach you practice so that the rest of the world will know that you stand by your principles and you believe in them so hard that they will follow because of your strong conviction.

For everyone's aspiration, there is one essential requirement...ONE'S SELF. We want something? Then we do something about it. We work for it and not just depend on others. At least if we don't succeed we can still hold our head up high and be proud that we have given it our best shot.

Photo Credit: http://thepeoplescube.com/peoples-blog/the-michelle-obama-action-figure-doll-t4192.html

No comments:

Post a Comment