Sunday, October 30, 2011

Flowers For The Dead...And To The Living

November 1 is fast approaching and it seems to be that I was in a time warp this afternoon as I saw the busy sidewalk of the Libertad Market, swarmed with flowers, baskets and hopeful vendors that they would be able to make a profit out of their business venture. I had to double check my calendar to make sure what date it is because somehow I felt so idle while others are busy shopping for the coming All Saints' Day.


One thing that struck me is this photo where a man and his daughter, eagerly wait for sales to come in. I can see that they are tired but they didn't seem to mind for as long as they wait on the opportunity to earn for the day. Competition is stiff as they sell only local flowers from Mambukal while others poured more capital to sell flowers from Cebu. 

I met Nene and her daughter Rubielyn. As the mother work on her arrangements, the 11 year old calls on customers to check out their merchandise. I was very fascinated as the young girl would courageously peddle as people walked by their stall, so unlikely of kids nowadays. 

When I asked Nene the price of a bundle, she was actually shy to answer, maybe hesitant that I may find them expensive. Little did she know that her price was reasonable and competitive, way cheaper than those selling flowers coming from Cebu. Just for the Baby's Breath, a common add on to basket arrangements, she sells them for P10 a bundle, approximately 1/4 of the exact same flowers sold by capitalists for P100. If customers would canvass first, I guarantee that she would sell everything before Tuesday comes. 


To be fair with those who invested more capital, their flowers are of course more vibrant and better quality as they range from P80 - P100 per dozen, (P80 for those fortunate ones like me because I know the seller and of course it comes with free arrangement. Good deal huh?) 




As everyone spends hundreds to offer flowers to their dead, for sure those up there are smiling as they are remembered but to these peddlers, it means another assurance that they can sustain their family's needs for the next couple of weeks. Everybody can put a smile on their faces in these holidays because of then flowers and that goes for both the dead and the living. 

Have a safe All Saint's /Soul's Day!

6 comments:

  1. Very nice account of realities... Keep it up! What about the dead? What's up for them? You may check it here: Saving The Dead

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read article and I can say that it focuses on a certain belief that can possibly redeem the dead. However, I guess with your question, "What about the dead?" My simple answer will of course base on what I want to believe...that in my own way of remembering them, wherever they are, they're smiling. That's good enough for me. :)

    Thank you for taking time to read my notes. I hope to hear from you in the future as well as your thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome and thank you for a responding to my brief query on the condition of the dead. I'll be following your blog. Hope you'll also be following mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great deed Rem. Love it!!! Happy Halloween! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks a lot Ray. Have a fun and safe Halloween!

    ReplyDelete