Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Living Remembers


I was growing up looking forward to every November 1st. I can’t wait to get my taste buds on my mom’s delightful valenciana, a dish made of glutinous rice, chicken meat, liver, gizzard and of course the raisins. And also, talk about the holiday, no school, get the chance to wake up late and just taking it easy. It’s also thedate when we would parade to different cemeteries to visit our dead. It didn’t occur to me though the essence of the whole thing.

Eventually as I grew older, I realized that it’s not all suman that matters, but the thought of remembering our loved ones that have passed away . Remembering them while they were still alive, the happy moments that were shared, the priceless knowledge that entailed every unique experience we had with them and even just the appreciation of life.

Now that I have children, I try my best to teach them the true value of All Saint’s/Soul’s Day. It’s not just the fancy-shmancy  face makeup, Halloween costumes, food trips at the cemetery and perhaps another day to lay back. It is a privileged date for us to reminisce the wonderful times that we shared with our loved ones who are no longer with us.

Don’t get me wrong. I still tag along with their caprice to fun things but I make sure that by the time that we get back home, they are reminded of how they became who they are, living well because of the care and love of family, both the living and the dead.

Ten days more to go and once again it will be Nov. 1. For sure my mom will cook her famous treat, prepare flowers and visit Lola Meding and Daddy. Cassie may give her best shot to charm me into getting another face paint, Nadine would probably munch on every food stall we pass by. Owen may focus on taking photos of the celebration.  I have work on that day but I surely won’t miss the get-together with my family and enjoy the memories that will be forever in our hearts by the end of the day. 


Photos courtesy of Owen Segovia Bayog 

No comments:

Post a Comment